20 July 2013

Portknockie Harbour

Taking advantage of the great weather I decided to have a trip up north to Portknockie harbour for some LRF and to meet up with Sharpie. After a great drive through the beautiful countryside of Perthshire and along the spey valley I arrived in Portknockie in glorious sunshine but a bit more wind than I would've liked. First stop was the outer breakwater with the LRF gear. Drop shot rig with some isome on as bait. Lots and lots of tiddler coalies coming and inspecting but nothing taking. The water clarity was amazing compared to the last trip on the east coast. Sharpie arrived shortly after and firstly fired out some feathers to see if there were any mackies around as we had in mind to try for conger later on. He was having no better luck than I was and decided to join me with my second LRF rod in the sheltered harbour when the wind got up again, wind is the major drawback with LRF.

We went to a wee hollow in the inner wall I'd noticed a blenny sticking its head out of as I walked along the harbour earlier. Same drop shot rig down and we were both surprised to see blennies and small sea scorpions appear from everywhere. There were also dozens if tiny flat fish (far to small to ID). First to catch was sharpie with a wee coalie that darted out from under the boat we were next to to take his isome.

There were several blennies but one much much bigger than the rest and the one I targeted. Thankfully they were very obliging and both of us had one in quick succession and thankfully I had the biggie. There were a few different looking fish but I never managed to catch a particularly nicely patterned one as it kept getting chased off.

Sharpie also had a wee long spined sea scorpion and the smallest flounder I have ever seen all of 2 cms. We tried for some of the other flatties to see if we could ID them but I'd forgotten my smallest pattern hooks and they couldn't take what I had. I'm fairly sure there were wee plaice and turbot as well as the flounders. Will need to go back to find out.

We never stuck it out for as long as intended as the sun beating down was pretty intense and retreated to sharpies before heading to try for conger that night,

No comments:

Post a Comment