17 April 2011

A flounder from Fife

Bait -  kipper/lug
Rigs - flappers - 2, 1 & 1/0 hooks
Tide - 2hrs over high tide
Place - Wormit


With the weather looking reasonable and the wind not too strong, I asked my dad if he fancied a couple of hours on the banks of the silvery tay looking for significantly smaller flatties than last week! The plan was to get there just before high tide and fish a couple of hours either side of it. We thought we were a bit late but as it turned out I had got the tide times wrong so we had arrived exactly at the point of tide we had planned. This isn't a spot I'd been before but I'm determined to get a few spots nearer to home for quick ad hoc sessions. We went to the nice wee pebbley bay just past the Fife side of the Tay rail bridge. Nice space for several anglers and when we arrived there were 4 folk already set up so we drove to the end of the road, turned and parked up. Easy fishing out the back of the car and a nice change to humping gear to marks.




Gear out and hooks in the water quick time all baited with kipper as I'd been told that kippers were 'the' bait of the moment so I'd bought some the day before as I was intrigued as to their effectiveness. Nice sunny day but there was a chilly stead breeze from the west so it wasn't as warm as we'd hoped.




Still it was a nice chance to have a natter with dad and once the baits were out out came the coffee  Just as was thinking of reeling in and re-baiting I got a decent bite which promptly resulted in my first flounder of the year. 




 


It was a feisty wee bugger and after a quick pic it swam off strongly. Unfortunately that was it for the session. We were there another hour or so before the high tide chased us off the beach. We could have fished on from the roadside but decided to pack up and head off.


Nice wee mark and I plan to be back soon and hopefully for a longer more productive session.

No comments:

Post a Comment