11 July 2013

Floundering with cousin Johnny

Well after the yomping exploits in Dumfrieshire last week I decided to take an afternoon off work to enjoy the nice weather and have nice easy session fishing. I'd arranged to take my cousin Johnny along to Eliot beach at Arbroath as he's just started fishing again and had only fished at Riverside Drive so far.

The plan was to fish the tide two up two down, which was slightly new territory for me as I usually fish Eliot two over low tide. Just fishing one rod each with three hook flappers and wee strips of bluey as bait.  Johnny had one second cast, a wee tiddler but blank off early. I had to wait a while for my first but got a slightly better one about 20 mins before high tide. By this time Johnny had another about the same size as his first one.


The bites died off over high tide but quite quickly started again in earnest just after the tide started dropping again. Johnny had another two flounders in quick succession but couldn't get into the slightly better fish. I had another couple as well but mine were getting slightly larger each time. First was about 18 cm, then 20cm and 22cm. No monsters but decent enough flounders for Eliot. We were having a decent old time chatting away fishing slowly enjoying the sun and watching the world go by.  By the time we ran out of bait Johnny had another two flounders and I had the best of the day at bang on 30 cms.

Nice to have a slow paced chill out fish once in a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment