19 September 2011

East Neuk - 19/09/2011


Bait - Spoots and Lugworm
Rigs - Simple Paternoster, float
Tide - Over Low Tide
Place - Kimming Rocks


With thoughts of wrasse in mind I set off for Fife to some nice jaggy rocks near Crail to get there about 45 mins before low tide to get out to the deeper water at the end of the rocks. Weather ok, overcast with some blue patches and nothing more than a gentle rolling swell on the sea but as I got out to where I wanted to fish the water was murky brown, not what I wanted.


Still in for a penny and all that, wee rod out with lug tipped with a limpet and the bass rod with a sliding float with a spoot on it, close into the rocks. A couple of casts to get the depth set right and I let it bobble about in the tide keeping a close eye on it.

After an hour with nothing to show on either rod I was getting a bit restless, when my float started to take we dips. Nothing spectacular but a bit of interest at least. Slack taken and at the next dip a wee strike and some weight on the line but no sign of a fish. Weed I thought, till I got the hook up and landed an edible crab. A fair size but still undersized for eating unfortunately. I reckon it must have been on its tip toes just reaching for the bait to make the float dip. If only it had been a bit bigger and I'd have been happy as it was back it went to grow till it was dinner sized.

Shortly after I got a couple of good knocks on my mini rod and landed my only fish on the day a nice ugly blank busting bullhead.


Retreating back over the rocks as the tide came in I never got another sniff of a fish and when I lost my float to a snag I decided to pack up. Only a short 2-3 hour session in the end.

On the way home I stopped off at Wormit bay thinking about some flounders but the water was even more dirty here and seeing the water coupled with a massive downpour I decided to get some brownie points and go home early.

Hoping for an other couple of trips this week though :)




No comments:

Post a Comment