23 July 2012

Lots of driving, lots of midgies and a few fish

Well the plan was a nice leisurely rive over to Lochaline to fish the West Pier overnight on Friday night and then stop somewhere on the way back on Saturday. Beautiful day for a drive in the countryside through Perthshire and Glen Coe. Bit of a hold up going through Glen Coe for an accident (nobody hurt badly thankfully) but let me to get a couple of nice pics of the scenery. When I got to the Corran Ferry it dawned on me that it was the first time this year I'd been across on it. It's a strange wee ferry to cross a small spanse of water, always makes me think that a bridge would make more sense, but I'd be pretty sad if a bridge did get put up. Funny how small things like that can give you a feeling of well being, it like the gateway to the wilderness. Unfortunately on getting over to Lochaline I found half of it filled with logs and the other half filled with anglers with the same idea. I had a chat with them and they's only had a doggie and a small conger for the 6 odd hours they'd been fishing between the 8 odd of them. They said they'd make room but with me meeting Sharpie and Nikki I didn't think that there was nearly enough room for another 3 of us. Next thought was the Sheepshed but it had a family of Dutch ensconced in a camper van so no room at the inn again. Two hours and 60 miles later I passed the Corran Ferry again with the rods never leaving the car. So where to go, my banker in the area is Camasnagaul Ferry Landing so that's where I decided, phoned Sharpie to arrange to meet there.

That night turned out to be a doggie-a-thon and all tiny as well. Fort William seemed like it was jumping shrieking, hollering, loud dance music and sirens. Funny how different things can look at a bit of distance as the photo I took that night makes it look so serene. After about three hours we packed it in as there was nothing moving bar the doggies and planned to get up early to fish the tide down on daylight.

After a fairly fitful sleep in the motor I was up the back of six and back out with the rods. That's when I realised it was still calm and was hit with a wave of midgies. Honestly in all the summers I've spent in the west I have never ever experienced anything like that. Clouds and clouds of the wee scottish vampires.  I am glad to report that Skin so Soft works wonders as the midgies were out in full force and I only got bitten 6 six times even though I was surrounded by 1000's. Sharpie and Nikki were more sensible than me staying in their tent till the wind pick up and blew them away.

Still fishingwise I had a reasonable thornie of 4lb odd and a couple more doggies to add the the bulk load the night previously. But sharpie when he venured out had a wee species hunt landing a Grey Gurnard (my target unfulfilled for the weekend) then a doggie, dab double hit followed by a codling and a wee thornie. So 5-2 in Sharpies favour species wise but I had the bulk of numbers in all the doggies from Friday. Would rather have had the Grey Gurnard though. Will be back to get one :)

Got a few nice shots of the local swans as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment