2 March 2012

St Andrews Pier

Well not having been out for a couple of weeks I thought I'd give St Andrews pier a bit of a recce for a couple of hours. I'd not been there for years but since peeler3's recent review of the mark on Shoreangler I decided that was the destination. Only planed a couple of hours to get rid of a few odds and sods of bait kicking around the freezer.

I managed to get parked right at the pier end and after the short walk I had the two rods baited up and cat out for about half five. At this point the tide was about 2.5 hours into the flood so there was plenty of water all round but I decided to primarily flattie bash and cast one rod strait out the end of the pier and one to the right. Just flappers with size one hooks. Nothing at all but stripped bait initially until about quarter of an hour after sunset I got a wee knock on the rod straight out. Take up the slack, small strike and I could feel fish on. I thought it was probably a small coalie, but was proved wrong when I landed a wee codling of a few ounces. I never got out for the winter codfest due to a dodgy knee so was fairly happy to add another species for 2012. Three fairly small flounders quickly followed suit all on the other rod to the right all pretty standard between 16-20cms or so.


The wind had been a fairly constant since I arrived at a brisk breeze but about half seven it started to get pretty nippy and as I had come light for a short session I decided one last cast and off home via the chippy. Last cast on the rod straight out brought in a double shot of flounders.


Not a bad way to spend a quiet evening, two and half hours for one codling and five flounders at a nice comfortable spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment