11 December 2010

Finally got my 'Spurs'

11/12/2010

Bait -  mackie/squid/
Rigs - Pennel Pulleys
Tide - high >>> low
Place - South Shore, Loch Etive
With the Shoreangler meet postponed due to weather and road conditions I thought I would take another trip west to Etive to try an get my first Spur Dog.

I'd arranged to pick up Jamie (from the Jedi's) along the way and he was going to show me a mark on the south shore I hadn't fished before. I met Jamie at Taynuilt Hotel just after half eleven and got to the mark 10-15 mins later.


We were fishing three rods, Jamie two and one for me. First few casts there was no custom for our baits other than the crabs stripping us out. After a about an hour Jamie got a nice run that had his ratchet going, it seemed like he'd lost it but very quickly after his other rod started going. As he reeled it in it quickly became apparent his two rods were snagged into each other and it was not clear which one the fish was on. We got the rods in and Jamie untangled them with no issues and found a nice sized Spur Dog of 8lb 2oz. Quickly and safely unhooked and released.

Over the next two or three hours Jamie had another 3 Spur's and I was on for a big blank and yet another session without catching a Spur Dog. It was just getting dark about 4ish and I thought this would be the period I was most likely to get lucky.

First cast in darkness and my own ratchet started going, my first thought was 'doggie, but at least the blanks off' but as I got it close to the shore I saw that I had by first Spur. Around two and a bit pounds, no biggie, but well chuffed with my first.





Jamie and I agreed one more cast and homeward bound. As I was packing away all the bits and piece my rachet went again and spurrie two was quickly reeled in :)

Lovely day and another species ticked off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment