4 October 2010

Codding About!

Bait -  squid
Rigs - Pennel Pulleys
Tide - low >>> high
Place - Arbroath Cages


I was looking forward to tonight's session with Paul and Dougie  as it was my first since getting married last month and the first trip in almost a month.

We'd arranged to meet at 5 p.m. and I arrived at about 5 too, to find Paul already fishing. After a wee chin wag I got my gear out of the car and set up next to Paul on the Light house cage at the end of the pier. Lochee Boy showed up and joined us shortly after I arrived.


The weather was great scarcely a cloud or a breath of wind.

This was my first trip targeting cod and I wasn't expecting a great deal as I had my new SL30SH so I wasn't very experienced casting with it or Multies in general. Luckily not a mark that needs a massive cast.

After my first bait was stripped by crabs (Paul had been being plagued by them)  I re-baited and cast into the spot Paul had told me to go for (only a short lob 30-40 yrds).  After about 3mins I got a nice big nod on the rod, struck and fish on!

I knew I had a decent fish on and it was giving my wee SALT Bass rod a bit of difficulty, but in it came and with some help at the edge to the pier from Lochee Boy I had shortly landed my fist ever cod.

YEAHHHHHH! 


A quick weigh later and the scales settled a tad over 5.5lbs, ya beauty, that's dinner sorted for tomorrow.

So I'd been fishing on my first cod trip for about half an hour and blank off with my first ever cod :-)  There was a crab on my squid in the cod's mouth and a further three hardback's in it's stomach. I'm not 100% but it looks like it went for the wee bugger whist it was stripping my bait.

Dougie, Nessie and Jammy John turned up about sunset and after a chat set up on cage 3.


 There wasn't much going on bite wise for a good hour and a half, but hooked up a couple of fish between 7-8 which quickly spat the hook. Hey ho can't win them all.


It was fully dark by now and I was struggling as I'd forgotten my headlight and  tip light.  In the shadows I kept thinking I had bites when I didn't, but anther good one came just before 9. 

Ho ho,  another fish on and this feisty one felt bigger than the first. Through a chorus of 'Ya jammy git' and some more help getting it in from Lochee Boy I had landed my second cod :-) 

Not as big as it felt coming in and  weighing in in the end bang on 3.5lbs.

I am one chuffed guy right now, with a big grin getting bigger as I have landed the only two fish out of 8 guys fishing!

Mindful of not pushing my luck and an early start tomorrow I left about 9:45 after a great session for me and great crack from the guys.

Planning another trip soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment