16 June 2013

Sunny Salen: slow day



I was happy to receive an invite from Sharpie to meet up with him and Nikki to dangle some hooks in Loch Sunart on Sunday. Always good company and the weather looked nice as well, what better than a trip over Corran Ferry to some of the best scenery in Scotland and a chance of all sorts of species. Well the good company and scenery were right but the fishing was not up to scratch despite best efforts.

Launching a Salen Jetty we first went up to Laga Bay with the hope of some conger eels, a couple of rods with big hooks each and a variety of, mackerel, squid, octopus and bluey down to the depths, then a couple of wee hooked rods each to see if there were any whiting, gurnard or the like. After a decent while with no bites at all when Sharpie was rebaiting one of his big rods my small one bent over and went off on a decent run. Certainly not a whiting, nice big bend and a heavy weight on the rod either a thornie or a passing lump of weed moving in the tide, my thought was weed as I could feel no movement on the line so was happy to see a thornie appear from the 400ft depth. I never weighed it but guessimated about 3-4lbs or so.

Unfortunately apart from a handfull of doggies despite moving around and trying varieties of baits rigs etc that was it fishwise for the day. I do wish I'd taken a photo of the smallest doggie I have ever seen, no bigger than my middle finger. By the look of it it must've pupped then taken my bait straight away.

Really slow days fishing a afloat but lovely day to be out and a bad days fisihiong still beats most things hands down.


No comments:

Post a Comment