12 April 2013

Cormorant 0 - Squid Ink 1

Another day on the Tay on Friday.

I'd arranged to meet Jason (Sultzer) to square up for next weekend's Skate trip (please weather gods be good to us!) so a wee session together seemed appropriate. Plan was 3 hours up and one down. There wasn't much wind but what there was was bitter. Mid April and still wrapped up. Jason arrived shortly after me and Brian appeared a bit later, but as there were little or no bites most of the session was spent chatting about last years skate trip and whether the weather was going to be kind next weekend. By half five only Brian had had a fish, a flounder of about an ounce.

Being freezing and with little fishy interest I decided on two casts then home. Shortly after casting out a new bait my rod started nodding furiously. As I took the rod up I felt bump bump bump, fish on. Then as I looked up I turned to Jay and said I think I've got that bloody cormorant. But just as I said that it popped back to the surface. Phew no just a fish on until we watched the cormorant duck dive again and my rod go mental. Up to the surface it came again but this time with the fish I'd hooked into in its beak. Bloody hell! I was determined not to leave with a blanker because of a sea bird. A short tug of war later and the cormorant gave up and flew off and I could see a flash of silver coming in to the wall. Not a biggie only about half a pound. And that was it for the afternoon, we all packed up with only the two fish between us. Very slow for the time of year.



No comments:

Post a Comment