16 March 2013

Product Review - Gemini Splashdown Solo’s


I first tried these about a year ago after they were suggested to me by a friend who used the integrated splashdown sinker.  I had a problem with pulley rigs unclipping just as I cast causing the bait to helicopter, losing distance and harming bait presentation. 

Like many good products these are well engineered and well manufactured. Put the hook into the slot, pull down at the bottom and the hook is firmly locked in place. Once cast the pressure from hitting the water pushes the bottom back up releasing the hook. I have used this clip many many times over the last year and have never had a single cast unclip inappropriately or fail to unclip correctly.  And whilst I am a modest caster at the best of times using the Gemini Splashdown Solo immediately put 10-15 yards on my cast due to the extra confidence my rig wasn’t going to unhook. They now go onto every single snood clipped rig I make intended for light or medium ground; bombers; pulleys; up and over.  I tend not to use them over the rough stuff as I like my rigs to have minimal snag points and, though reasonably priced at £2ish for five, when reusing over and over again they could prove pricey if going through 5-10 a session fishing heavy ground for cod or the like.

If I had one suggestion it would be to make an additional bigger size as occasionally it would be nice use them on a rig with 5/0+ hooks which are a bit big to fit.

My opinion is that for any single snood clipped rig they are the business.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment