6 August 2011

Arbroath Cliffs - 06-08-2011



Bait - Prawns
Rigs - Jelly Worms and free lining
Tide - High >>>Low
Place - Arbroath cliffs


Not having had a trip out in a while (busy and bad weather) I had been keeping an eye on the weather forecast closely over the last couple of days. The plan was up early doors for a mornings fishing off the cliffs and back home in time to watch the Scotland -v- Ireland rugby match. So it was happy days waking up to overcast dry weather with little wind.


Up and out quick smart just light gear for spinning/float fishing and my mini rod for my first bash at mini species. Travelling light for the cliffs. Fairly uneventful trip to Arbroath apart from as I was driving through Dundee something caught the corner of my eye  just after I turned onto the Arbroath road. Turned out to be a Sparrow Hawk mantling over prey. Nice sight in the city.


Parking up at Vicky Park and a short walk up an over the cliffs to the mark I'd decided to fish at. I was glad to find the sea fairly calm just a gentle rolling swell and fairly clear. Not quite gin clear maybe more cloudy lemonade :)



So it was out with a flapper with mini hooks firstly, then to toby spinner on the other rod. After a fruitless 15 mins or so I decided to change the spinner for a red tailed jelly worm and a lead head. The change did the trick, first cast of the jelly bang mackie.


I thought that I might get a few to stock up on bait and a couple for tea. Not to be unfortunately. It was my first time using lead heads and jellies so I don't know if it was something in my technique but I just couldn't connect with anything else. I did feel several more fish hit the lure but no more hook ups. Maybe just smaller fish, but they didn't feel like it.


I wasn't having any better luck with the small rod/hooks until at one point as I re-baited it I noticed something take the washed out bait I had thrown in on the other side of the rock from where I was casting. After breaking a prawn up and dropping the bits down the side, I could see that there were quite a number of small fish coming out the rocks and from under the sea weed. I decided to take off the flapper rig I had been using and put a single size 8 hook on the 5 lb line I was using. After a couple of false starts I was fairly quickly in with what I think is a Shanny.




I was pretty chuffed as it was my first ever mini species. 






Pretty fun trying to winkle them out of the nooks and crannys. I ended up with about a dozen or so before I left for home and the rugby.



No comments:

Post a Comment